International Film Festival Rotterdam
The International Film Festival Rotterdam (IFFR) is one of the largest audience and industry-driven film festivals in the world. For the 2015 and 2016 editions of the IFFR, the online ticketing sales were completely powered by our TicketTrigger solution.
IFFRDuring twelve festival days more than 1.200 screenings are shown in 8 venues, spread over the city of Rotterdam. The 2016 edition of IFFR had more than 305.000 admissions.
IFFR online ticketing features
- Seamless integration.The online ticketing was fully designed according to the new IFFR concept and has been seamlessly integrated in the IFFR website.
- Strong peak performance.Due to a unique 'Client type' caching mechanism we gave the website the capacity to handle high volumes of orders at the same time. We used virtual waiting room software to maintain performance at the start of the sales.
- Selling series. We developed a custom order flow for the very popular 'Volkskrantdag', which handles over 20.000 admissions. Our solution allows the visitor to order a series of movies without knowing which one the get. This involves some complex logic in TicketTrigger buying a ticket for a series that is randomly selected from a series-group.
- Smart checkout. We added a one-page checkout, a Facebook login, and a transaction-dependent anonymous checkout option to optimize the process.
- E-tickets. All E-tickets are accessible from the user’s account page. When using a mobile device a Apple Wallet ticket is offered.
- The rules engine All SRO4 rules for sales dates, prices and user rights for the screenings are incorporated into our software. This allows the IFFR organization to fully affect the way tickets are presented to the users and offer automatically-generated last-minute deals.
- Up-sell & donations Flexible upsell blocks and donation forms can be manage by using the SRO4 prompts feature
- Data feeds. A number of easy to implement data feeds provided the website and the narrow casting system with real-time ticket availability for client groups, user login status, user details, order history and real-time basket contents.
- Rest API A simple and effective Rest API for the Film Management System for exchanging CRM information of the professional visitors.
Integration for speed
Selecting the right tickets was made easy. We also provided the website with a personalized feed of up-to-date price and availability information and created a component that allows the user to add and change the desired amount of tickets for a movie screening.
The website shows the users name, basket, time left and also his profile picture. Using smart coding allowed us to have the users browsers to request this on every page with thousands of users on the site, without a negative impact on the performance.
Traditionally creating an account is where we see the largest drop-off of customers in the checkout funnel. Not from all IFFR clients an account is necessary, only those that need a pass send to the physical address. All other users, most only buying a normal ticket were given the option to skip the registration process and use the fast-checkout. The rules engine in SRO4 was used to control who was allowed to use this faster route, by this the festival organization was able to set and change the rules themselves.
Previously registered users that order tickets on the website again, using the fast checkout, are informed of prior registration and are given another option to login. See below:
Buy tickets for friends
IFFR has a huge community of members: the IFFR Tiger Friends. The Tiger Friends membership allows these fans to buy tickets with a discount.
For the 2016 edition we responded to requests for an option to buy discount tickets for friends that are Tiger Friends members as well, to be sure a screening can be attended together. We succesfully added a 'buy for friends' feature to our account component, making use of the latest SRO 184.108.40.206 features. Tiger Friends now can easily connect to other Tiger Friends and put them in a friend list. On the checkout page they can assign tickets to their listed friends.
Manage your own data
Clients buying a membership are asked to upload a profile picture. This picture is used on the membership pass to make these passes personalized. Users can change their picture in their account or during checkout. No more need for the ticket office to change profile pictures: that’s a huge time saver!
A custom feature on request of IFFR makes sure clients buying a membership are forced to upload an profile picture.